Tuesday, July 26, 2011
100 WAYS TO SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT (part 3)
This is the final instalment.
WAYS TO PROTECT OUR AIR
1. Ask your employer to consider flexible work schedules or telecommuting.
2.Recycle printer cartridges.
3. Shut off electrical equipment in the evening when you leave work.
4. Report smoking vehicles to your local air agency.
5. Don't use your wood stove or fireplace when air quality is poor.
6. Avoid slow-burning, smoldering fires. They produce the largest amount of pollution.
7. Burn seasoned wood - it burns cleaner than green wood.
8. Use solar power for home and water heating.
9. Use low-VOC or water-based paints, stains, finishes and paint strippers.
10. Purchase radial tires and keep them properly inflated for your vehicle.
11. Paint with brushes or rollers instead of using spray paints to minimize harmful emissions.
12. Ignite charcoal barbecues with an electric probe or other alternative to lighter fluid.
13. If you use a wood stove, use one sold after 1990. They are required to meet federal emissions standards and are more efficient and cleaner burning.
14. Walk or ride your bike instead of driving, whenever possible.
15. Join a carpool or vanpool to get to work.
WAYS TO USE LESS WATER
1. Check and fix any water leaks.
2. Install water-saving devices on your faucets and toilets.
3. Don't wash dishes with the water running continuously.
4. Wash and dry only full loads of laundry and dishes.
5. Follow your community's water use restrictions or guidelines.
6. Install a low-flow shower head.
7. Replace old toilets with new ones that use a lot less water.
8. Turn off washing machine's water supply to prevent leaks.
WAYS TO PROTECT OUR WATER
1. Revegetate or mulch disturbed soil as soon as possible.
2. Never dump anything down a storm drain.
3. Have your septic tank pumped and system inspected regularly.
4. Check your car for oil or other leaks, and recycle motor oil.
5. Take your car to a car wash instead of washing it in the driveway.
Learn about your watershed.
FOR MORE reading on the sustainable way of living: