Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Prayer for Animals by Albert Schweitzer


Source: http://koti.mbnet.fi/neptunia/nature/animpra1.htm

The chief cause of pain to me wass the knowledge of the untold sufferings of animals. ... it seemed to be incredible - this was even before I was old enough to go to school - that I should include only human beings in my evening prayers. So when my mother had heard my prayers and kissed me good-night, I said secretly another prayer, which I had composed myself, for all living creatures: "Dear God, protect and bless all creatures that have breath; save them from all evil and let them sleep in peace and quietness." - Albert Schweitzer


A PRAYER FOR ANIMALS by Albert Schweitzer:

Hear our humble prayer, O God,
for our friends the animals,
especially for animals who are suffering;
for any that are hunted or lost or deserted
or frightened or hungry;
for all that must be put to death.
We entreat for them all Thy mercy and pity,
and for those who deal with them
we ask a heart of compassion and gentle hands and kindly words.
Make us, ourselves, to be true friends to animals
and so to share the blessings of the merciful.

- Albert Schweitzer

No comments: