Thursday, April 23, 2009
ARE YOU A "GREENIE' ??
ARE YOU AS 'GREEN'AS YOU THINK YOU ARE??
IS FOLLOWING A STRICT REGIME OF 'REDUCE, REUSE AND RECYCLE' ENOUGH TO PASS YOU OFF AS A 'GREENIE"???
DO you know the M-E-A-T on your table is killing the Environment and depleting Earth's Precious Resources ???
< IF YOU ARE A MEAT-EATING "ENVIRONMENTALIST" - You must read these startling facts!
(1) NUMBER of people on earth today : nearly 7 billion
NUMBER of cows, chickens, pigs, and other farmed animals : approx 20 billion
(2) GRAINS that are fed to farm animals this year : 760 million tons
FOOD needed to eliminate the most extreme cases of world hunger : 40 million tons
NUMBER of people who could feed on the grains fed to farmed animals in the
US : 1.4 billion
(3) AMOUNT of EXCREMENT produced by farmed animals in the US : roughly 89,000 lbs/sec
(4) ACRES of LAND needed to produce food for a meat-eater : 3 1/4 acres
ACRES of LAND needed to produce food for a vegan : 1/4 acres
(5) PERCENTAGE of GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS produced by all cars, trucks, planes and
other modes of transportation in the world combined : 13%
PERCENTAGE of GREEHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS produced by farmed animals : 18%
(6) GALLONS of WATER needed to produce 1 lb of meat : 5,000 gal
GALLONS of WATER needed for one year's worth of showers for one person: 5000 gal
GALLONS of WATER needed to produce 1 gallon of milk : 990 gal
GALLONS of water needed to produce a lb of wheat :25 gal
GALLONS of water needed to supply food for a meat-eater for one day : 4,200 gal
GALLONS of water needed to supply food for a vegan for one day : 300 gal
(7) Ratio of FOSSIL FUEL it takes to produce 1 calorie of animal protein to FOSSIL
FUEL it takes to produce 1 calorie of plant protein : 11 to 1
(8) CARBON DIOXIDE SAVINGS if every person in the US replaced one chicken-based meal
with a vegetarian meal : is equivalent to taking more than 5 million cars off the
CARBON DIOXIDE SAVINGS if everyone ate only vegetarian food one day per week : is
equivalent to taking about 8 million cars off the road
(9) TONS of CARBON DIOXIDE that you can save per year by swapping a standard vehicle
for a hybrid car : slightly more than 1 ton
TONS of CARBON DIOXIDE that you can save per year by switching from a meat-based
diet to a vegan diet : nearly 1.5 tons
(THE ABOVE INFO are extracts from PETA's periodical/magazine dated FALL 2008)
(Please visit their websites for more updates at: PETA.org or GoVeg.com)
AND in parting.... if you claim to be an environmentalist, don't stop at the
THREE R's.... go one step further - BE VEG ! GO GREEN ! SAVE THE PLANET !