The following tips are 'curi-ed' from the Jan/Feb magazine from AAM (Automobime Association of Malaysia) and I would like to share with you what I have learned.
Pretty cool stuff and for those of us who are environmentally conscious, they are great ways for us to be aware of our carbon footprints when on the road!! To those of us, especially me ,who are not too familiar with the mechanics of a car,these are good and interesting advice to take.
(1) CHECK THE AIR PRESSURE OF YOUR TYRES...You reduce the amount of fuel you need to drive by ensuring your tyres are properly inflated. The petrol you saved will mean less oil needs to be extracted from refineries and less waste overall. You also get to save money as an added bonus!
(2) GET YOUR CAR INTO TOP WORKING ORDER .... Make sure your car keeps its regular appointments with its maintenance schedule. A clean engine equals cleaner fumes equals a cleaner environement !
(3) PLAN YOUR TRIPS ..... planned trips means faster, and less resources being used when you drive around aimlessly. A great way to cut dowm on petrol consupmtion and also less emission of harmful fumes into the atmosphere.
(4) REPAIR AIR CONDITIONER LEAKS IMMEDIATELY..... some aircond units contain harmful chlorofluorocarbons which is a no-no to the environment! Be sure to fix any leaks as soon as you can!
(5) MAINTAIN A STEADY SPEED ...... If your car has a cruise control device, use it when you are on the highway. A steady speed helps to save on fuel and also also slow down the rate of carbon emissions. Keeping to the speed limit also save your life and the lives of others on the road!
(6) STOP IDLING ..... it's a fallacy that turning off your engine and restarting it uses more fuel than just letting it idle. If you have to wait more than 30 seconds, you're actually using more fuel than if you would turn off your engine.
(7) CAR POOL !..... The mother of all GREEN Driving tips!!! Less vehicles on the road means less trafiic jam, means less gas emission, means more money saved, means more time spent chin-wagging with your fellow carpoolers!
That's not too difficult.... and certainly not impossible for many of us. A change of mindset and habits may take a little time but we get to live a little longer if we help do our part for the environment. Every little bit counts!
If you have any more of such green tips to share, please do us all a favour and let us know.
Have a great day and hey... check out that little 'monster' of yours!