Saturday, February 28, 2009

Earth Hour 2009

"On 28 March 2009 millions of people around the globe will unite for one hour and switch off their lights to show that they care about our living planet."


World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Malaysia has invited everyone to join Earth Hour 2009 on Saturday, 28 March 2009 from 8.30 p.m. to 9.30 p.m. The campaign hopes to reach out to everyone around the world to convey support for action on climate change.

Well, it's a simple thing to do, I first thought. It's just switching off the lights in my house for 1 hour. How hard could that be? But then all the activities that I'll miss from this 1 hour started to pop up in my head. I can't watch my favourite tv program which will show at that hour. I won't be able to go online and surf the web, check my facebook account, download programs......Hmm...maybe I'll just switch off the lights and leave the tv and computer on. At the end, it's not such a simple thing to do anymore as I realise humanity has come to depend on electricity so much that it's taken for granted.

The other day there was an article in The Star which told about a small town in New Zealand called Tekapo. The townfolk reduced the light usage in all households just to protect the vast starry blanket spanning their heaven. To tell the truth, how many of us still appreciate and enjoy the starry sky (if it's not covered by pollution)? How many of us would spend time to think how much the Earth has been polluted? How many of us would stop the usage of plastic bags in order to reduce global warming?

Well, this is the time for us to stand together and take the first step in supporting the cause of fighting global warming. Vote for the cause by switching off the lights for one hour. 62 countries around the world including Malaysia (as supported by our Prime Minister) have committed to participate in the voting. Let's do our duty together and cast our vote. Malaysia Boleh!

No comments: